Fall is in the air, folks. Temperatures have dropped and the rain is starting to settle in. I've been anxious about this time of year ever since we decided to move to Portland, but I gotta say, I think I can get into this rainy city vibe. Especially since I have so much school work keeping me busy. Taking the advice of a few lifelong northwesterners, I've begun my search for a cozy coffee shop where I can snuggle in for the winter. Luckily, the choices abound in this town-- I guess rain induces an excessive need for caffeination, which I'm sure I will come to personally understand soon enough. Today, I tried out a little spot called Cloud Seven, inspired by the coffee houses of Vienna, apparently...whatever that means. Regardless, I can dig it because they serve a mean latte--
AND the big reason why I chose this place first is because they sell Petunia's pastries- this teeny local business that only makes vegan and gluten free goodies. Vegan and gluten free? Sounds gross, right? Don't knock it til you've tried it, seriously. We met the owner and mastermind Lisa at the farmer's market this past Saturday and sampled this insanely amazing chocolate peanut butter coconut caramel cream pie. It was drool-inducing and Lisa is absolutely adorable, so of course I want to support her business while I nosh on some stellar baked items. Today I couldn't resist the call of lemon blueberry pound cake. Winning.
So fall, besides making me crave sweets (wait...that's every season) also has me hankering for soup. Tonight, taking full advantage of the abundance of local produce still available, I made this hearty chili with locally-grown zucchini, kale, bell peppers, and onions. Gotta have some veggies to balance out all that bakery goodness, after all.
Rainy season? Bring it on.



Emily you know Cindy and I always read your blog. It's nice to see what's going on out West. Keep the blog going! Looks like you are headed into fall with the right attitude.
ReplyDeleteDennis
thanks for reading guys! hope your fall is off to a good start too : ) xo
ReplyDelete