Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall in the Kitchen

Hey dudes, I hope everyone had a lovely weekend- ours was pretty busy and I am quite tired and ready for sleep time but I had to share a fun recipe I recently tested out that is perfect for the season we are all enjoying-- mainly because it involves pumpkin, what else?

I came across this recipe for Pumpkin Pesto Pinwheels and was so intrigued by the unusual combination of ingredients that I had to try it out. I adapted it to be *slightly* healthier.

Basically you take some store-bought pizza dough (I opted for whole wheat), give it a few Italian style sky-tosses until adequately stretched out then give it some topping love. Spread one half with pureed pumpkin and cooked, crumbled bacon (I used turkey bacon), then spread the other half with pesto and top with a sprinkling of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
So colorful!
Once it's all dressed, roll that sucker up and pop it in the freezer for an hour so it'll be easier to slice up for baking. Try and be patient. Slice 'em up into 1/2 inch-ish pieces and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until irresistibly golden brown and bubbly.  They'll come out looking something like this--
Hook me upppp
The flavor combo works surprisingly well, they're moist and crispy at the same time-- and definitely best fresh out of the oven. I'm thinking about adding these to a Thanksgiving appetizer menu since Davis and I are hosting his family for the big turkey gobblin' holiday this year : ) You can make them ahead and keep the roll in the freezer and just slice and bake when you need them. I like that.

K dudes, I've got another post coming in the next day or two about our Saturday getaway to the gorge if you just can't get enough-- stay tuned! Miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!

    Since you will (tragically) be missing my stuffed pumpkin this weekend - you really need to make your own. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130704456
    It is the best thing ever. You really can't go diet on the cheese / cream because when the cheese melts it needs to freely mix with the cream - thereby thinning it and allowing cheesiness to soak into the bread. If there is wateriness - they will separate out. I've made it with rice, but like the bread version best. I haven't played with other meats - but I have done a meatless version with apples and walnuts and cranberries. Also, I have done a bread heavy / less cheese version that was sort of a twist on stuffing.

    I've been looking forward to pumpkins all year! I just love the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. yes this should absolutely be on the thanksgiving menu. the end.

    ReplyDelete