Hello there! The first official week of school is almost complete, and though I must say those kiddos quite tired me out, it was an inspiring and successful week- amazing to see what a classroom full of 3-6 year olds are capable of and the peace they can bring to a classroom. They can also bring chaos, don't get me wrong, but I'm focusing on the peace : )
It's also really nice to start the year with a 4 day workweek! Especially when you had plenty of downtime the previous weekend. Well, I had downtime. Davis was busy finishing out his 2012 racing season on a high note! We headed south to Eugene, OR for the Labor Day weekend for D to compete in a 3-day stage race. He did great and ended up # 15 out of 40 dudes when all was said and done. Not too shabby, dear!
All in all we had a good time in this new city even if it wasn't the most exciting place to visit. I think we fell in love more with the surrounding countryside, which is fortunately where several of Davis' races took place! As a country girl at heart, I soaked up the gorgeous rural vistas and drooled over the abundance of wild blackberry bushes while D pedaled around the land.
 |
| A sun-speckled playground greeted us at the first stage |
 |
| Spanish moss! Love this stuff in the South, hadn't seen it in OR before now : ) |
 |
| Serene farmland |
 |
| Why must that camera follow us everywhere we go? |
 |
| Sigh. This is pure country perfection. |
 |
| Muggin before the start of stage 2 |
 |
| Meanwhile, I believe I'll have some blackberries, thanks! |
 |
| Such a lovely and tasty sight |
 |
| Sweet Cheeks Winery? Adorbs |
 |
| Private swam land is strangely inviting |
 |
| Roadside wildflowers are always welcome |
 |
| Oh yeah! There's a bike race going on |
 |
| D leading his pack |
Ah yes, fun out in the middle of nowhere. Eventually we ventured into the city limits of Eugene to check out what it had to offer. Oddly, it was almost a ghost town, likely due to the season opener of the Oregon Ducks football season that same evening. But nonetheless, we checked it out and enjoyed catching the last golden rays of the day in this new place.
 |
| Loved these charming flower barrels |
 |
| And this fun European-style courtyard in the middle of a market of shops |
 |
| Sure is well planted : ) |
 |
| Of course we loved this bike-friendly spot |
 |
| And this lovely hulking mansion overlooking the town |
 |
| Long shadows as a freight train chugs toward us |
 |
| Sweet spot to wait for a lift |
 |
| Things just love to grow here it seems |
 |
| I mean, how luscious is this? |
 |
| Old bricks make me swoon |
 |
| Oh hey! Just in case anyone wondered what we looked like that weekend. |
 |
| Agreed. Practicing this every day with my highly diverse classroom. It's awesome. |
 |
| Sun sinks on the city streets |
 |
| Night night, Eugene |
Phew! I must like taking pictures or something, eh? Ha. Anyway, our final day in town involved two more stages, an exploratory neighborhood walk and some serious grubbin'. Let's wrap this up, shall we?
 |
| The view from inside. As Davis prepares for stage 3. |
 |
| Go warm up on this chilly morning |
 |
| Ready to rock it! |
 |
| Set, GO! |
 |
| Post-race. A man and his bike. A love affair for the ages. |
 |
| Time to re-fuel for the second race of the day and the last of the weekend-- big ole burrito, fruit smoothie and major pile o' veggies for the win. All while learning about the food scene in Eugene thanks to their local "Chow" |
And now it's time for the real estate round-up! During our downtime between races, I squeezed in a lovely stroll around one of the sweet neighborhoods in town. I found some houses that were quite charming indeed.
 |
| Kitty welcomed me, then quickly turned away |
 |
| As with most Oregon towns, bungalows are the adorable norm |
 |
| Porch swing and a wind chime-- I think these people would be my friends |
 |
| Ohmygoodness. Could this be any more inviting? |
 |
| The other end of the same property. Put this place in Portland and I'm ALL over it. |
Well that was pleasant! And now onto the final stage! You still with me people? Let's get goin.
 |
| The fellas lined up for the start |
 |
| Good luck, dear! Ride safely! |
 |
| Zoomin' around the turns |
And we did it! Last race of the season, and an impressive show. Proud of my hubby. After the last race, we headed back to PDX where I took D to his favorite pizza place to celebrate the end of a great season of bike mania.
 |
| Diving into a well-deserved slice |
 |
| Major nomzzz. Enjoy! |
Thanks for hanging in for such a long-winded, picture-full post. Sorry I didn't save you any blackberries. Hope you've all had a great week! xoxo
Congrats on another impressive race season and a dedicated fan capturing it all! Nice to see newlywed happiness and all the sights of Oregon.... looking forward to an in person visit soon!
ReplyDeletexoxoxo ma
Um...hello! I get the adorableness of the Sweet Cheeks Winery but the first one listed was KING Estate Winery!
ReplyDelete