Wednesday, August 22, 2012

On the Menu Tonight...

In hopes to rid any over-worked newlyweds of the dreaded mid-week slump, I wanted to make something special to celebrate those light, fresh flavors of summer before we slip into fall.

I also really wanted to use some newly-purchased local pepper jelly in a recipe somehow. We always sample pepper jelly from Rose City Pepperheads at the Farmer's Market on Saturdays and feel bad for seldom buying any because, well, a jar of pepper jelly, no matter how delicious it may be, can last for quite some time. Anyway, this week, after perhaps one sample too many, Davis caved and bought another jar-- this time Hawaiian Jalapeno. It's tasty on crackers and even on PBJs but I knew there had to be some way to use it in a dinner recipe.
So delicious. So much potential.
 Davis and I are obsessed with coconut in all forms, so I thought I'd make a healthified coconut rice as our base, can't go wrong there. Found this recipe for Coconut Ginger Brown Rice and got it started (minus the cilantro, we're fresh out). 

Meanwhile, I threw together some sauteed chicken breasts and steamed some broccoli that looked particularly enticing at the market this past weekend.

I thought I'd use up some mango and avocado we had lying around and put together an easy salsa with a little onion for bite. This is where the jelly demanded to be included. Hawaiian Jalapeno, Mango, Avocado salsa here we come! I let the flavors hang out together for a little while before serving and oh man, it was a magical journey for the tastebuds when everything came together...
There she is, a fresh, light summer meal with just enough kick
Take a closer look before it's all devoured
Making sure to get each flavor on the fork for every bite
 Not to get overly excited about my own dinner creation, but this meal was dang good. And we made it over the hump of a Wednesday with happy tummies : )

Try this one, people. Before the late summer blues try to get you.
xoxo Em

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try adding it to my mango avocado salsa. I love hot pepper jelly with brie and crackers (rice ones of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesss pepper jelly is amazing with any sort of soft cheese and crackers...we love it with goat cheese too : )

    ReplyDelete