I couldn't quite resist making a blog all about Portland because there is just that much to talk about. Having spent most of my life in Southern suburbia, my new status as an urban Portlander is proving to be quite an adjustment-- but in good ways, of course! I've never lived in a city before (and always wanted to), and this is a perfect place to start. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get used to taking an elevator to my home, or the sound of trash trucks at 4:30am, but I am taking it all in. Across the street is a brewery-- and the hoppy smell wafts around through the day...which, oddly enough, smells exactly like boiled peanuts and reminds me of good times at Merlefest. And then there's the basement bakery down the street where, at all hours of the night, you can stand over the sidewalk grate and bask in the aroma of cinnamon rolls as the bakers work tirelessly inside.
There is no shortage of deliciousness around here, I assure you-- and some of Portland's delicacies are as bizarre as they are unforgettable. Let me start with a little something I came across in my neighborhood explorations last week-- the Spicy Thai Grilled PBJ.
Food carts are all the rage in Portland, I don't know if you've heard. This one was my first. And what a way to start. Completely unassuming and holding its own in a little nook between shops on trendy NW 23rd Street, these folks specialize in wacky reinvented peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, each featuring mostly homemade ingredients. From the "Hot Hood" which brings you peanut butter, bacon, cherry jam, and jalapeno (what?) to "The Joy" with almond butter, dark chocolate, and coconut (definitely next on my list), they've thought of it all. I had to go with what sounded the absolute weirdest, the "Spicy Thai"- which is full of orange marmalade, sriracha, fresh basil, curry, and (of course) peanut butter.
It might have been the most oddly delicious sandwich I've ever put in my mouth. Just pure simultaneously creamy, spicy, sweet, salty, crispy gloriousness. And it's rich. Definitely something you're gonna want to split...unfortunately, D was at work and I was left to scarf the whole thing down by myself. Poor me. This was the first of what I'm sure will be many food cart culinary quests in this town. And I'll be sure and keep you posted.
Otherwise, it's been a busy first week for this girl, unpacking all my junk, working on furnishing the new place- (including snagging a huge, super rad painting from a local artist, which I'll discuss in a later post), whipping up some tasty meals for my engineer, and meeting all kinds of cool people in our happenin' city. Can't complain about any of it, especially this beautiful sunset we enjoyed from the couch Thursday night...
Much more to come! Thanks for reading : )
two jealous rents...xo
ReplyDelete